Thursday, December 15, 2011

Catherine Dives Right In

In the way of explanation, I set up this blog for Catherine Hamsted, nickname Kat. Kat is a girl who exists in the minds and hearts of those who enjoy reading about the exploits of her and her best friend Tobias Carter. Carter prefers to go by his surname. I do not want to give too much away as this is, after all, Kat’s blog. Since she is eager to share her feelings about the strange things that keep happening to her and Carter, I will turn this post over to her.

       Okay… well… I’m Kat. Like Mr. Groll said, I feel the need to share with others what’s been happening to me and Carter, and I want to discuss my feelings and opinions about what it all means. Carter and I agreed not to talk about the bizarre things that keep happening to us with anyone we know personally. The kids at our school already think we are weird.
        My X best friend, Katelyn, keeps telling people that I must be on drugs. I’d like to tell her that after what I saw in the Forge of Providence when Carter and I were in Dearth, I would never do drugs. The Forge of Providence is this massive cave we traveled through and we were tested to see if we were worthy to fulfill this prophesy. While we were in the cave we found this guy lying on the ground, paralyzed. He was crying and begging us to bring him one of these weird mushrooms that grew in the cave. He said that when you eat them you sleep and dream wonderful fantastic dreams that feel totally real. In the dreams you can do anything. But when you wake, you’re paralyzed for ten hours, and while you are awake, you crave another mushroom.  He wanted us to help him go back to sleep. We wanted to help him. He was in so much emotional pain, but eventually he would die from dehydration. We offered to stay with him until he was able to travel and take him with us. He refused. He was determined to dream again and again and again. As we walked away from him, he cursed us. I can still hear his screams as he begged us to come back and relieve his suffering with another mushroom.
        It turns out that the encounter was one of our tests. We were told that we passed. I guess we did the right thing, but sometimes I wonder if it would have been so wrong to give him just one more dream. Did we really do the right thing? I think we did. It’s not that I was judging him. He had the right to do with his life whatever he wanted. It’s just that I didn’t want to make it easy for him to destroy himself. If we don’t let people suffer the consequences of their actions, how will they ever learn a better way? I didn’t want to get in the way of life trying to teach him that life is not a dream. It is tough, but it’s worth living.
        You see. I cannot tell these things to people I know. They wouldn’t believe me, and I’m sure no one reading this will believe me either, but that’s okay. I would, however, like to know what you think about the decision we made.
        Oh… My mother is telling me to get off the computer. Thanks anyone out there who is listening. You don’t know how much this means to me. I got to go. She’s yelling now…

5 comments:

  1. Kat, I know it is hard to say no to people who are pressuring you and trying to make you feel guilty because they are in pain. They try to make you responsible for their troubles. But you did the right thing. When a person is under the influence of an addictive substance, he is not really himself anymore. To be a facilitator (a person who helps make is easy for another person to keep using whatever it is that is making him sick) is to let the drug suck you in along with the victim. The first step in helping an addict is to stop helping him stay sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new blog. What a creative idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kat:

    Like Mr. Groll said, helping people destroy themselves is no kind of help at all. God gave us all free will choice and if a person chooses poorly they will suffer the consequences. Sometimes the best way we can help others is with tough love. We must let them learn from their mistakes or they will keep repeating them. God has written his word in your heart young lady, so keep listening and you will make correct choices on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great meeting you Kat!

    I am a school teacher and I know how hard it could be to make good decisions, but I believe you did just that. Time and again I hear my students blame others for their own choices and behavior...not wanting to face the consequences of their actions. You are on the right path. Keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes when you see someone suffering and you want to help them, it may seem like helping them would be to do what they ask of you. But the bottom line in this is you need to ask yourself, "What is the right thing to do?" When you ask this question every time you have to make a decision your conscience will tell you to do the right thing. Keep listening to your conscience because I'm sure that's
    God speaking.

    ReplyDelete