Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Kat and the Valley of Shadows

        Hi everyone. I have to be honest with you; I do not feel like doing the blog this week. Ever since Carter and I found Jane Bet killed by her sister, I have been very down. If you read my last post you will know what I’m talking about. Anyway, ever since we found the body, I have felt like I did when I first stepped foot in the Valley of Shadows while traveling through Dearth (the land beyond the dead forest).
        People in Dearth warned us that it would be almost impossible to survive in that dark, cursed land. When we stepped foot on that black dust covered plane, it felt like I had stepped into Death’s living room. Feelings of sadness fell so heavy upon me that I knew I would never be happy again. I wanted desperately to turn and run back the way we had come.
        The dark feelings were so powerful that Carter and I threw up. Then something happened that lifted the gloom in our hearts. The Guardian appeared. Just seeing him filled us with hope and joy, but it didn’t last. When The Guardian told us that our quest was over, Carter began to suspect that the Adversary was trying to trick us into abandoning our quest by appearing as The Guardian. Carter tripped him up by saying he was going to miss the pancakes he served us for breakfast. Carter asked him if he used buttermilk in the pancakes, and he said yes. Well The Guardian never served us pancakes, only waffles. We had him cold.
        That’s how the forces of darkness work. When we are at our most vulnerable, when things are so bad we don’t know if we can carry on, evil strikes. We must be on our guard because when we hurt so bad we don’t know if we can bear the pain one more second, evil will come with a pleasant face and an attractive offer of easy escape.
        When we confronted the Adversary, he revealed his identity. He was angry because he had failed. Not only did he fail to convince us that he was The Guardian, he gave us the key to making it through the valley of shadows (not that he planned to). When we thought The Guardian had come to help us, we felt hope and joy. Even though it wasn’t really him, we realized that when our focus changed from our horrible circumstances to something positive, we gained strength to overcome. That’s how we were able to push on. We focused on our friendship, on things that made us laugh, and things that made us feel glad to be alive. It’s okay to go on with your life even when you lose someone you care about.
        Okay, now I feel better. I guess it was a good thing that I did the blog even though I didn’t want to. Thanks for listening.

5 comments:

  1. What a great lesson learned Kat. It reminds me of the scripture in Psalms, "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, because thy rod and staff comfort me." God's word is always there to comfort and guide us through difficult times even when we feel hopeless. I'm so very glad you and Carter were able to discern that the Adversary was appearing as the Guardian with half truths and the appearance of light and goodness. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Stewart, this is Kat, I so appreciate your words of encouragement. I am only twelve, but I am beginning to see that life can be really hard! With forces of evil working against us, it is even worse. We all need help and support from those who love us and care about us. What you said is so right on; you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mentioned you are only twelve and yet you have faced more than most twelve year olds. You have discovered a profound truth about how evil can stealthly strike with a pleasant face and smile, mimicing the words we want to hear. But you and Carter understood that the dark force was and always will be a liar! Good for you! When I met evil, I didn't recognize his veiled face, but thankfully, God did as He bound up my wounds and washed away my tears. Thank you for sharing, Kat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Ms. Goodhew. It's me, Kat, again. I think that no matter what age a person is they can be tricked by evil. Carter and I were tricked lots of times even though we should have known better. The Guardian was watching over us with help if we were willing to take it. It's a good thing too. I am glad you accepted the help you were offered. He is always looking out for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's another lesson I learned, that when we feel sad and discouraged and that life is vain that more than ever is when we need to remember the good times. There is enough sadness in the world without negative attitudes adding to it.
    I've been taught that evil often works like that. It tries to appear as something beautiful and welcoming when it is not. The Poison-Dart Frog may have bright beautiful colors, yet if you touch it you could die.

    ReplyDelete