Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Kat and the Inconvenience Store

        It’s Wednesday evening again. Wednesdays are light homework days and that’s why they work out as a good blog night. I wish I could blog more often.
        So today I went to the convenience store/café/gas station with my mom. This place is five miles from where I live, but it is the closest thing to a downtown that we have. It’s actually a good place to grocery shop and have lunch. I’m not sure that it’s a good place to get gas. We don’t have much money, and my mom always complains about gas prices which seem to be getting worse every time we go there.
        But that’s not what I wanted to talk about. It’s just that whenever I go there I think of the Inconvenience Store. That’s what I call it. When Carter and I came to the end of our first day traveling, on foot, beyond Dead Forest, we were tired and hungry. We hadn’t seen any signs of civilization other than the road we walked on. The sun had set, and we had no lights or matches. Yet we were confident that somehow we would obtain what we needed. You see, neither Carter nor I brought any money, but when we checked our pockets for something we might be able to trade for the things we needed, we both found a ten dollar bill in our pockets. We knew that the money must have been provided by Guard (The Guardian).  Since we had been given money, we knew there had to be a place to spend it.
        We were right, but it wasn’t a place you would want to do business with unless you had to. It was a dirty, stinking, disgusting mess. There were two old-fashioned gas pumps in front of an old, rickety, wooden shop. The white paint was almost totally peeled off. The one outside light, atop of a pole, attracted every moth for miles around. There was a miserable electrical hum coming from everywhere. Inside the shop, it smelled like body odor and motor oil. Then I found a dead rat on the floor that had been dead so long that there was a thick layer of dust and cobwebs over it. When Carter went to purchase a flashlight and some batteries, they were all covered with spider webs with fat black widow spiders crawling all over them. That wasn’t the worst of it. The man who owned the store/gas station was really scary. He was rude, nasty, and mean. It was obvious that he didn’t want us in his store. When he saw that we had some money, he let us in, and we got some junk food, matches, and the flashlight.
        On the whole, it turned out to be a terrifying night. You can read all about it in the book “Beyond the Dead Forest.” The thing that is curious about that night is that in spite of how frightening that man was, and the bizarre things he ended up doing, he saved our lives. The things he said to us and the way he did it, made us afraid to go against what he told us, and it turned out that he was right. There was another man that crossed our paths that night who did not listen to the store owner, and he ended up dead. Like I said, that first night we spent in Dearth, the land beyond Dead Forest, was full of scary stuff.
        I have heard about people who seem friendly but turn out to be evil. They call that deception. Even though the store owner looked and acted evil, we owe him our lives. He saved us from a terrible fate. I don’t think that he was being deceptive. I think he was just being himself, as he was trying to save us. What does it all mean? I keep thinking about that night. So much happened…

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like some of your adventures really did a number on you. Goes to show you should never judge a book by its cover.

    ReplyDelete