Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Kat's Dirty Deed

        Hey, I was wondering if anyone out there has done something they really regret. Oh yeah, before I go on, I have to tell you that Carter got a dog last week. He named it Ticket. The dog is really cute. It’s a yellow lab and golden retriever mix. He’s just a puppy. But I ask you, who names their dog Ticket? I thought it was stupid at first, but then I got used to it. It sort of fits.
        Anyway, naming your dog something silly isn’t the kind of regret I’m talking about. Okay, I guess I’m just rambling because I am ashamed to tell you about my dirty deed that I regret. I want you to know that I’m not a bully. But there was one girl, Beth, that I treated really bad.
        When I was in the fourth grade, I was part of this group of girls. I guess you could say that we were part of the cool crowd. At least we thought we were cool. There were four of us, and we just hung out at school and left everybody else alone. But when Beth showed up in the middle of the school year, looking like a lost puppy in plain uncool cloths, it just screamed loser. I found out later that I was the real loser.
        My friends and I took every opportunity to humiliate the girl, and I was the worst of the bunch. Tears come to my eyes every time I think about it…
        Okay… So… One morning, I was having a bad fight with my mom, and I ran out of the house without eating breakfast, and I forgot my bag lunch. By lunchtime, I was so hungry. I just figured that my friends would share their lunch with me. Wouldn’t you know it, two of my friends were home sick and my friend that was there that day, took an attitude with me. She said, “It will be a good lesson for you to go hungry and then maybe next time you won’t forget your lunch.”  I couldn’t believe it. I was so mad at her that I stomped out of the cafeteria, sat in the hall, and fumed.
        Then the most unexpected thing happened. Beth came out into the hall and offered to share her lunch with me. Okay, so, I’m crying again… Beth was so sweet and sincere. Her kindness to me after how I treated her was like a burning fire of shame in my stomach. You can read the whole story in the book “Beyond the Dead Forest.”
        After that, Beth and I became good friends. My old friends ended up rejecting me as a traitor. I didn’t care, but I wish Beth could have stayed at the school longer. She was only there four months before she had to move again. Beth taught me a really good lesson about sweet revenge. That lesson came in handy when Carter and I were on our adventure in Dearth. But that’s another story. I hope you don’t hate me for being mean to Beth. It all happened before I went to Dearth, and I grew a lot there. I guess we all make mistakes. Night everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment