Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Kat's Guest, Carter

        Hi everybody. Tonight my best friend and partner in the business of exploration, Carter, is here with me. His new dog, Ticket, is also with him, and my mom isn’t too happy about that. She doesn’t care much for pets, but as long as Ticket behaves himself and stays in my room, it’s okay.
        Carter has been following my blog to make sure I don’t get my facts too wrong. Don’t look at me like that, Carter. I know why you read it. Instead of making annoying remarks about what I say, you could leave a comment at the end of my posts.
        I’m sorry. I was so annoyed that I typed what I said to Carter, but he doesn’t want me to delete it.
        Back to business, I asked Carter to share his first test after the killer storm. I already told about mine in my third post titled Kat’s Confession. So here is Carter.
                                                          ***
        Well… Okay… Kat already got one thing wrong. Choosing the cabin built on rock instead of the cabin on dirt during a killer storm was actually the first test. If we hadn’t passed that one there wouldn’t have been a second test. Kat’s rolling her eyes at me. She hates it when I’m right. Okay, okay I’ll get on with it. She can be so bossy sometimes. What do you mean I’m the bossy one?
        Sorry, Kat and I really do like each other. It’s just that we enjoy pushing each other’s buttons. Anyway, after the storm, we met The Guardian (We call him Guard.). He invited us to sit at his campfire, fed us, explained about the Adversary and how dangerous he is, and then he vanished, leaving Kat and I alone.
        Wait a second. Kat just informed me that I should have said Kat and me, not Kat and I. I’m never going to get to my story if you don’t stop interrupting me, Kat.
        By this time it was dark. We had no flashlight, so we decided to spend the night around the fire and head home in the morning. At first we thought our parents would be worried; they would not be able to find us in Dead Forest because Kat and me are the only ones who can see it. But then we remembered that Guard told us that we were in a dimension that was outside our time. He said that we could be gone for years and when we returned home that it would be as though we had been gone only a couple hours.
        Kat’s correcting me again. This time I was supposed to say Kat and I. Will you make up your mind? It is either Kat and me or Kat and I, which is it? Oh great, it depends? Never mind. You can correct my grammar before you post this. No? Thanks a lot. Okay just leave it.
        I’m going to make this short. I found myself in a wilderness in bright sunlight with nothing but a canteen a quarter full of water. I was hot, thirsty, and scared. After I realized that Kat was not with me, I headed down a dirt path looking for help. When my water was almost gone and I was near collapse, I came across a man who was near death from exposure. I had to make a decision. Was I going to save my meager swallow of water and try to make it out of the wilderness alive, or was I going to doom both of us by giving the last of my water to this man who was near death.
        After struggling with myself, I decided that even if I did survive by saving the water for myself that I wouldn’t be able to live knowing that I just walked away and let a man die. I knew that if the person lying there was Kat, I would give it to her. Was this man any less valuable than my friend? I gave him all the water I had left, and when he regained consciousness he told me that he knew this wilderness and said that he collapsed just before he could get to the waterhole around a large pile of rocks just a few feet away. He also said that the only chance I had of getting out of the wilderness was to have a full canteen of water because this waterhole was the only water for miles around. If I hadn’t given him my last water, I would have died. Of course there’s more to the story; you can read about it in the book about our adventures “Beyond the Dead Forest.”
        I have often thought about that decision. What I did wasn’t logical. Logically, I should have let that man die in peace rather than wake him just to tell him that there was no more water, and that now we are both doomed. But just the opposite was true. Compassion over logic saved my life.
        Well what do you know; Kat is finally smiling at me. Um… That’s all I have to say. I would be interested in hearing what you think about what I shared with you.

1 comment:

  1. A good deed is never wasted. Dearth sounds like an interesting location. Do you still have that canteen?

    ReplyDelete