Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Kat Meets the Adversary

        What a storm we’re having tonight. It’s really coming down, and I hate how the thunder makes my windows rattle. It reminds me of the killer storm that Carter and I got caught in right before we began our journey through Dearth. It was the first time we met the Adversary, and right off he tried to trick us into making a bad decision that would have gotten us killed.
        Carter and I were studying two of the seven abandoned cabins that were located in the center of Dead Forest when all of a sudden, day turned to night; something horrible was about to happen. So we ran for our lives. Clumsy me, I tripped. Carter stopped to help me up, and that’s when the Adversary appeared. He looked like a normal man except for the hooded white robe he wore. He didn’t have the hood on, so we could see that he had hair so brilliantly white that it did not look natural. The strange thing was that he was not in any way affected by the storm. While Carter and I had to yell to be heard and struggle to stay on our feet in the raging wind, the Adversary spoke to us in a calm conversational voice, and his hair and robe did not move at all in the powerful wind.
        He wanted us to take shelter in the cabin nearest us. But Carter insisted that we go back to the other cabin we were studying when the sky went dark. I thought Carter had lost his mind. That cabin was much farther away and we would have to struggle into the powerful wind to reach it. But in spite of the lightning striking all around us and the ground growing muddy from the drenching rain, Carter insisted we try for the other cabin. I trust Carter and even though I didn’t know why he wanted us to risk our lives in an attempt to reach the other cabin, I agreed.
        Curiously, the Adversary, became very upset when we made that decision. I have to admit that I became rather upset myself.  The struggle was so difficult that I panicked, and I begged Carter to abandon his insane course of action. Well, to make a long story short, we did just barely make it to the second cabin, and it turned out that it was a good thing we did. In our investigations of the two cabins, Carter discovered that the first cabin, the one the Adversary wanted us to choose, had no foundation. It was just sitting on the ground, and as a result, it was destroyed by the storm. I realized why Carter wanted us to try for the second cabin when I learned that he had found that the second cabin was anchored to the bedrock, and that’s what saved us.
        Once the storm passed, we met The Guardian who became our guide and support throughout our adventures. He asked Carter why he risked going for the second cabin when the first cabin was such an easy choice. Carter shared with us how when he was little, his mother told him a story about two men who built houses. One man built his house on sand and the other built his house on rock. When a storm hit, the house on sand was destroyed, while the house on rock survived. Since he had already determined that the second cabin was built on rock, Carter remembered that story and that’s why he insisted we try for that specific Cabin.
        The Guardian told us that the story teaches that the kind of foundation you build your life on determines how well you will survive against the challenges of living. If you build your life on selfishness, only doing what you want and taking the easy way, it’s like building on the sand without a foundation. On the other hand, if you seek out and live by wisdom, your life will be solid, strong, and rich.
        That was quite a lesson. After what we went through, I don’t think I will ever forget that one. It’s a lot to think about. I hope it doesn’t keep you up tonight, pondering it. Have a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment